Education Grants


4 website- smaller size Grants are now open for application! To be eligible, you need to: - Be a Ngati Whatua Orakei registered hapu member or a child of a Ngati Whatua Orakei registered hapu member. - Be enrolled in an educational institute in 2017 - Submit a completed application form with all required supporting documentation - International grants will need to provide a copy of the school invoice or enrolment confirmation via a school letter.

Click here to apply!

Please note that applications need to be completed in one session, as you are unable to save. If you are unable to complete your application online please click here to download a printable version. This can be scanned and emailed to or dropped in to one of our offices.


Who can apply for an education grant? All applicants must be a descendent of Tuperiri. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or a guardian may register on your behalf. What if I am not a registered hapū member? You will need to complete a hapū registration form.  CLICK HERE - to be taken to the hapū registration page. The hapū registration process could take up to 2 months to complete. Where can I find out whether I am a registered hapū member? You can call 0508 NWORAKEI (69672533). What if I am not a registered hapū member and I make an application for an education grant? You can still fill out the form. You will be notified of what you need to do before application the can proceed. What happens to the education grant application if I need to complete a hapū registration? You will be notified that your application will be put on hold. A member of the staff will make contact to process your hapū registration prior to your application proceeding. When can I apply for an education grant? Education Grant applications open 9 January 2017 and will be open all year. When do education grant applications close? The 31st of December 2017 however, each applicant can only apply once for the year. How do I apply for an education grant? You can make an application through the online form and hardcopy application forms. You can call 0508 NW Orakei (69672533) for a hardcopy form to be sent to you, download the from <<insert link>> or collected a form from the following locations: - 230 Kupe Street, Ōrākei - Ōrākei Marae, 59B Kitemoana Street, Ōrākei - 32 Mahuhu Cres, Quay Park, Auckland City. Are there different forms for the different types of education grants? No. There is only one form, that caters for all types of education grants. What information will I need to provided in the application for an education grant? - The type of grant being applied for e.g. Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary etc - The name and type of education institution i.e. kohanga reo, school, university etc - NCEA details (if applicable) - Confirmation of enrolment at a school (ECE, Primary and Secondary) or tertiary institution. You can also provide us permission to contact the school directly. - Tertiary Fees paid or student loan details - Nominated bank account for grant to be paid to What is the value of each grant? $300 - Early Childhood Education $200 - Primary (Year 0 – 8) $300 - Secondary (Year 9 – 15) $500 - Certificate/Diploma (Tertiary) $1000 - Undergraduate Degree (Tertiary) $1,500 - Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma (Tertiary) $2,000 - Masters (Tertiary) $4,000 - PhD (Tertiary) $500 - Training/Vocational Study                                How long will an education grant application take to process and be paid? Within a month of receipt of application, if all requirements are submitted and completed. Will I be notified of the application process? You will be notified at each critical stage of the application process via email. You can also call 0508 NW Orakei (69672533) to get an update. Please ensure you have your application reference number to assist us in finding your details. Is there any other financial support or other type of support that the education service of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (Whai Poutama Education) provides for whānau? Yes.  We will be sending notification of other education support that is available, throughout the year. You can also visit <<insert website>>. What is the difference between a tertiary certificate or diploma course and a training/vocational course? A training/vocational course option is to accommodate for those courses that do not provide graduates with an NZQA approved qualification, but do provide potential future employment pathways.  Acceptance of this grant application will be at the discretion of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Poutama Education.

5,594 total views, 8 views today