Te Puna Reo Okahu Kura
Te Puna Reo Okahu Kura is a joint early childhood education initiative between Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei and the Ministry of Education. The Puna Reo is part of a long-term kaupapa (plan) of educational excellence for the hapu where knowledge and understanding of Te Reo Maori me nga Tikanga (language and customs) are a foundation.
Providing opportunities for our pepi (babies) and tamariki (children) must be the first step. From the time of birth, all children are ready to learn. Success depends on a solid foundation of skills, confidence and attitude and the Puna Reo is the first critical step. The Puna is committed to raising the level of education achievement for the Hapu (tribe) and all attending tamariki.
The Puna Reo is located adjacent to the Ōrākei Marae, at the end of Kupe Street, Ōrākei. Our tamariki are close to the whenua rangatira (tribal land) including the marae and health services. They will be exposed to the abundance of natural resources, Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei heritage and culture.
As part of the Whanau Education Action Plans (WEAPS) we are calling 3-4 year olds not engaged in ECE. We have a limited offer of an induction grant for Te Puna Reo Okahukura Early Childhood Centre. This grant consists of first initial 4 weeks fees covered upon enrolment. Offer is open for a limited time and dependant on the capacity of numbers.
*ask about government subsidies and family tax subsidies for ongoing fees
Please contact Puna Manager, Rangimarie for further information on
DDI: 09 578 1806
The Puna teaches a broad curriculum with a focus on six key principles:
- Children learn best when their physical needs are met and they feel psychologically safe and secure
- Children build knowledge as a result of interactions between themselves and the environment (physical, social, cultural and emotional)
- Children learn through social interaction with tamariki, whanau, hapu and iwi
- Children learn through play
- Children’s interests and “need to know” motivate learning
- The development and learning of children are characterised by their individual patterns of learning
Open Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm
- 2 years and under – $175 per week
- 3 and 4 year olds – $175 per week
- 3 and 4 years olds using ’20 hours ECE’ – $87.50 per week
8,987 total views, 1 views today